10 March 2011

Changing the name of my office

In honor of the release of Steven George & The Dragon, I’m changing the name of my office. Here’s how it came about in the first place.

 

A few years ago, my wife and daughter shared a small office in my basement that they dubbed The Wolf Lair. I had the larger office/storage room next door. They called it The Wolf Lair because our big greyhound, Val, shared the office with them.

 

About the time I was beginning to conceive the idea for Steven George, I was sitting in a lobby wearing my greyhound sweatshirt (Hundus Speediensus: Latin for Fast Dawg) when I spotted a little girl about 4, I’d guess, who seemed fascinated by the stylized picture of the greyhound on it. I attempted to engage her, asking whether she had a dog and telling her about my greyhound. Finally, she pointed at the shirt and said simply, “I thought it was a dragon.”

 

Thus was born the idea of a dragonslayer who really didn’t know what a dragon looked like, where it lived, or how to slay it.

 

We changed around our offices to accommodate my teen daughter’s life and she got my office as a living suite. I got The Wolf Lair and my wife moved her office upstairs to the guest room. Sadly, Val passed away and now there are two more greyhounds taking grudging turns lying in my office. But every time I see them I think, “I thought it was a dragon.”

 

So, in honor of Lucy, Bliss, and Val, and the release of Steven George and The Dragon, I’m officially renaming the office, The Dragon’s Cave.

 

You can decide for yourself it it refers to the dogs or me.

0 comments: