30 October 2010

I just figured it out

Typically, when I sit down to write a book I have a pretty good outline and I know what the outcome is supposed to be. Sometimes (in fact, often) that outcome changes as I write, but I start with a direction. For example, I know what the outcome of The Volunteer is expected to be. I know how I'm going to get there. The rest is writing.

When it came to Stocks & Bondage, though, I've had a lot of what happens in mind, but not what the outcome is. I know that the key has always been in the six computers that the dead woman has in her home. (Why else would you hire a computer forensics detective to investigate the death?) But I really had no idea what was on the computers that was so important. I had thought vaguely that it had to do with finance or credit card theft. But this morning as I tossed between not enough sleep and have to get up, it finally dawned on me. Oh my! Suddenly, my book not only has action, it has an outcome and it is mind-boggling. No wonder Deb Riley has to get into those boxes. Now if she can just do it without being exposed...

If you'd like to read the adventure in November as Deb blogs it, just go to my Sponsor Me page and make any donation. Send me a note (comment here) with your email address, and I'll unlock the blog for you. There's other great prizes, too.

Now that I know where I'm going, I can't wait to get started.

0 comments: