13 October 2010

Win great prizes by supporting my NaNoWriMo effort!

Dear Friends, Family, and Righteous Supporters,

This November, the nonprofit Office of Letters and Light will be bringing together the most mighty of endurance novelists for an event that will define our generation forever. I'm speaking, of course, of National Novel Writing Month. It's a global writing challenge in which participants spend November (and portions of our sanity!) writing a 50,000-word book in just 30 days. This will be my 7th NaNoWriMo and my 8th and 9th novel since November 2004!

My good friend Cloister has a way of bringing out the best in me, whether it is as a book doctor analyzing and improving what I write, as a business partner choosing books to publish, or as my own personal social conscience egging me on to do some good. I met Cloister in 2004, just after finishing my first NaNoWriMo novel, Willow Mills. Over the course of the next few months, I convinced him that he should join me for the next NaNo and he finally agreed, providing we find some way to use our books for a good cause. Joined by "GCK" the three of us combined our first drafts of the 2005 NaNo into an anthology and used sales of the book to raise over $5,000 (including Microsoft matching funds) for The Office of Letters and Light (sponsor of NaNoWriMo).

When the idea of sponsorships came up this year, Cloister beat me to it and pledged to raise $1,000! What could I do but commit to match this great fundraising effort for the Young Writers Program at the OLL? The problem is that neither of us work for Microsoft anymore, so we can't get matching funds there. That means we're really counting on the generosity of our friends across the country to help us out.

In order to reach this goal, Cloister has put up the offer of a bunch of prizes for those who sponsor him, so I of course, I'm putting up some prizes, too. I'm upping the ante a little, too. I have a novel that "needs" to be written called "The Volunteer." It will be my cradled baby during November. But I also have a novel that "wants" to be written called "Stocks & Bondage - A Deb Riley Mystery." Yes, Deb Riley is back! So I'm going to do them both! At the same time! Now, here are the prizes:

The Wallet Quick-Draw winner: The first person to donate (other than me) gets the first bound and printed copy of their choice of "The Volunteer" or "Stocks & Bondage". I'll produce a special edition from a print-on-demand service just for you, sign it, and ship it.

The Luck of the Draw winner: From the list of sponsors who don’t win any other prize, I’ll pick a random person in traditional raffle-style fashion. That person shall receive a free Book Cover Design for their own novel. Don't think that you have to be a NaNovelist to enjoy this prize. You come up with the title of your novel (even if you haven't written one) and a two sentence blurb about the story. I'll create a cover for your novel, and print the dust jacket. Even if you haven't written the story, you can frame this full color print for your wall!

The Grand Prize winner: Whomsoever shall donate the single largest lump-sum to this sponsorship drive shall receive a free Book Cover Design for their novel, a complete print layout in PDF form, and an industry-standard ePUB of the book, delivered on a CD in a case with your cover on it. Yes, that assumes that you've actually written a novel. If the grand prize winner has not actually written a novel, he or she may either donate the prize to their choice of budding novelist, or a short-story written by me following the blurb they provide, designed and delivered as above.

The Everybody’s a Winner winner: This is the one that everyone really wants. In the tradition of "For Blood or Money" and Municipal Blondes, I will be blogging "Stocks & Bondage." Because everyone who donates deserves something, each donor will be recognized in the "Sponsors" sidebar of that blog (unless you prefer not to be) and will have access to the new novel while it is being written on Deb Riley's blog. You will be able to interact with the story as it takes shape, communicate with computer forensics detective Deb Riley of DH Investigations, and become an active part of the story from the inside! I've blogged several previous novels, but this one will be locked for access to sponsors only until the end of November.

That's it! Click here to donate and win a great prize, but more importantly, support the great work being done in the Young Writers Program, encouraging kids to put their dreams in print. And, by the way, after you donate, leave a comment to this post so I can unlock the story for you. You'll get a sneak peak at what Deb's been up to when you do!

0 comments: