16 June 2007

Some more q&a about Stn. George

Some more questions about Stn. George
For some period (Steven is ageless in my mind) he has lived in an isolated village with a dragon mythology. No one in the village has ever actually seen a dragon. No one in the village actually knows how to kill one. But the entire village feels it is incumbent upon them to train up their dragon-slayer and to give him what he needs for his task. I anticipate stories of encounters with his mother, his lover, his teacher, his priest, and his mayor/elder.
  1. Are there other significant people that he should remember encounters with either while leaving the village or after he is out on the open road? Who are they and what is their significance?

  2. Everyone wants to give Steven something to help him on his journey and with his battle with the dragon. What are some of the things (and from whom) that he is given for his journey?

  3. Steven is undertaking a journey of about 500 miles on foot to find and slay a dragon. What does he actually need to take? Does he have it with him when he leaves the village or does he acquire it on the road?

I really love hearing your responses, and although I'm likely to change many of them to suit the story as it develops, I add all suggestions to my log of writing ammunition. Thanks in advance for helping out.

andersenmom
In response to question 2:

They have a dragon mythology: presumably they have some sort of lore of what is effective against a dragon (whether true or false). I'd go into that: a weapon from the blacksmith, a charm from a "hedgewizard" or even from his lover - certainly a memento from the lover, whether effective or not.

Hope that helps a little.

wayzgoose
Thank you! I don't know yet what it will be, but this has definitely gone into my list of possibilities. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. If you'd like to keep participating, I don't always post the questions on the nanowrimo community, but my HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/"wayzgoose journal is open.


travelintheways
I've caught a couple of your posts about your story idea here, but I have to admit I don't remember much. So I hope this helps!

I don't know if this fits into your story, but... what about someone who *claims* to have seen/fought a dragon? He or she doesn't have to be telling the truth (I don't remember the exact premise of your story), but I think it might make a neat episode if he ran into someone who has claimed to have seen/fought dragons, and he's probably gonna be skeptical. I dunno, I just like borderline crazy characters.

1. Depending on his experiences in the village, it might be memorable for him to run into someone/someones who have some significantly different customs from his village folk. Also memorable is someone who would treat him badly OR very well (again, depending on his worldview).

2. I know this is probably obvious, but I think items representative of a person's personality and relationship to Steven are best. So a protective relation (father, mother, uncle, whatever) could give him a protective charm or piece of clothing, while a younger, rash sort of friend might give him a fearsome-looking spear. Someone more sentimental might give him a memento, so he can remember home when he's far away from home and feeling lonely. A learned person might give him a potion or whatever from ancient lore, probably very complicated.

3. Eek, I'm not as good on this stuff. It's sorta cliche, but if he has any sort of skill that could earn him money/food/board on the way, it would be VERY helpful for him. The most common example of this is music, obviously - a little flute or whatever could maybe earn him a few free nights at an inn. Or something at least that he likes to do in his free time - a small illustrated book or scroll he can read in the evenings, a musical instrument (again), a needle-and-thread if he can mend his own clothes, a... I don't know, one of those cup and ball things. Or a packet of spices if he's a decent cook. Stuff like food and water is obvious, and I don't know what the best stuff for long-term travel is.

wayzgoose
Thank you! I like the idea of encountering an extreme person in his travels. Perhaps someone who takes advantage of him and "steals" the one thing he thinks will be most valuable in his fight against the dragon. Good suggestion.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. If you'd like to keep participating, I don't always post the questions on the nanowrimo community, but my HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/"wayzgoose journal is open.

travelintheways
Glad to help! Brainstorming ideas is good fun. I'm about to friend you!


cloister27
> No one in the village has ever actually seen a dragon. No one in the village actually knows how to kill one. But the entire village feels it is incumbent upon them to train up their dragon-slayer and to give him what he needs for his task.

Ah, dogma. :) But a nice aspect to the story none the less, and a jumping-off point for including some type of parable message in the story if you're into that sort of thing, along the lines of being skeptical of dogma or always validating your data or what-have-you.

Also, I like travelintheways' suggestion of Steven getting bad advice from an itinerant blowhard. Someone who is charismatic and persuasive, and the second he learns that the village is training a dragon slayer, starts making shit up in order to curry free food, lodgings, and feminine favor from the villagers.

Thinking about these comments and about some earlier posts, I'm inclined to agree that Steven's girlfriend (P.S.: I somehow see Steven as still a virgin. Probably because that echoes his general greenhorn status with respect to dragons and all) would give him some sort of keepsake. If, during the climactic battle, you find the dragon needing Steven to kill him while Steven is for some reason reluctant to do so (perhaps he's already started to wonder whether his mission is right), then the dragon could goad him into doing it by catching sight of the keepsake and making a threat towards the girlfriend ("after I finish you off and fly to your village, she's the first one I'm going to eat!").

The other commenters pretty much said what I'd have said for #1 and #2, but with respect to his skills, I think Steven should leave the village confidently, with skills that he thinks he'll need, but which will turn out to be entirely inadequate to the reality of his situations. Have him go through some rough times while he adjusts to life on the road but is still close enough that the idea of going back to the village tempts him.

wayzgoose
I like the idea that the itinerant could come in two parts: first that there is someone who comes to the village (which has never really heard of dragons before) and tells them about the grave danger and how to go about preparing for it (i.e. train up a dragon-slayer). Second, that Steven meets someone along the road who "knows all about dragons," but in reality is making everything up. It has a good ring to it.

I think also that Steven is not "inexperienced." He has great depth of experience--as in is not a teenager plucked at random and thrust into a situation for which he has not been prepared--but his experience is in a very closed environment (his village). His village knows all about life, love, and happiness. It just doesn't know about the outside world.

dracolich_prgrm
For the other points, much the other people's opinion.. for supplies, some sort of bedroll, whether be a sleeping bag type blanket, something to protect him from the ground, some dried foods such as jerky, some bandages and probably a small sewing kit for mending any tears in his clothing. Rope and thread. Clothing appropriate for the journey, armour or a weapon, sturdy shoes, and various other odds and ends.

wayzgoose
Thank you! It's interesting that you mention food. I'm thinking that Steven may set out thinking that rations for a weeklong camp-out may be all he needs. He doesn't really know how far it is to the dragon. Then he's on the trail having to find food as well as make his way--which means he needs hunting (and fishing and gathering) skill in order to survive.

If you'd like to keep participating, I don't always post the questions on the nanowrimo community, but my HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/"wayzgoose journal is open.



ewrites
(Hi. I'm from the nanowrimo community.)

I don't know anything about your story, so use whatever you think's useful:

1. His friends. Is there anyone in the village who had doubts about dragons (whether they exist, whether they can be killed)? If Steven gets frustrated on the tough journey he might start to wonder whether it's pointless. Have people gone out to kill dragons before? Did they come back? Or do they remember the people who left and never returned?

3. An extra pair of boots and lots of socks. :)

wayzgoose
Thank you! I love the idea of having a skeptic in there somewhere. I was originally thinking that this might come in if Steven gets to a city on his journey. In the city they don't believe in dragons. Or perhaps "The Dragon" is a local pub.

If you'd like to keep participating, I don't always post the questions on the nanowrimo community, but my HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/profile"HYPERLINK "http://wayzgoose.livejournal.com/"wayzgoose journal is open.


cloister27
Also, and this is a little thing but it keeps nagging at me so I'll mention it: every time I go to type his name in one of these comments, I want to type it as "Stephen". It somehow just feels off to use the more modern v-spelling of that name in the context of a pre-industrial setting with dragons. At least, this is what my head tells me; I don't actually know from any research or whatnot that Stephen is a more historic spelling than Steven, but there you go. Food for thought.

wayzgoose
That's definitely an open issue. I focused so much on the abbreviation Stn. that I didn't give a whole lot of thought to how the rest of the name was spelled. I'll give some thought and research to this. I actually thought that he might even be nick-named Sten after the Stn abbreviation.

alathewish:
(Also from the nanowrimo community)

I actually don't have much to contribute, but I think this is a fantastic idea and I'd be really interested to find how it turns out.
So this is just a banner of encouragement being waved. I'll try think of something more helpful later.

Yours Alla

wayzgoose:
Thank you for the interest and for stopping by. I'd love for you to participate as the story progresses. I expect to ask many more questions. I don't post all of them on "nanowrimo so please feel free to friend me at if you'd like to follow along.

0 comments: