12 October 2005

Blogging the novel

I got an interesting comment last night that I was "brave" to post my plot outline and to blog my novel during November because that would really ruin my chances of getting a publisher as that would constitute first rights. Well, that's okay. I think that people who imagine that they will produce a fully publishable product in one month are either superhuman or joking. But the truth is that I have no plans for this particular work beyond NaNoWriMo and the blog where I publish it. What I am hoping to do is get some readership and exposure on what I consider a pretty light piece of fluff so that there might be some interest in my more serious works (that aren't blogged). Even if that doesn't work, I hope that this will be entertaining, both for me and for the readers that do see it. I'd really like to explore further the prospects of non-print publishing, syndication, podcasting, etc. as a next generation form of disseminating literary works. I understand the shortcomings of on-line security and the protection of literary rights, but right now, I'd be pretty happy to see my work downloaded and read by a million people even if I never got a cent from it.

Any thoughts on this? Are you writing to publish or to write/entertain? or both?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some Lawmakers Starting to Use Blogs for Public Relations
A small but growing number of lawmakers on Capitol Hill who have tried their hands at blogging.
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

Nonsensical_Flounderings said...

I am writing to see if I can do it. I have always wanted to sit down and write something of length. NaNoWriMo is the push I am giving myself to give it a try.

I don't expect any great literary opus or even something that will make a huge amount of sense.

Hopefully it will help me get into the habit of regular writing.

Who knows maybe I'll end up with a crappy 1st draft of something that could be worked on and revised at a later date, or used as fuel for the fireplace one of the three.

Mik