15 January 2009

Waking up in a hospital

Okay, so what does it feel like to wake up in a hospital?

  1. Timing - explosion is on Friday night at the beginning of spring break. He wakes up "a few days" later. How many days??

I could see light. It was shining in my eyes. I tried to close them, but something was holding them open. I tried to speak, but no sound came out. In fact, there was no sound anywhere. When the light went out, I was alone in dark silence.

Ooops. I wasn't going to write this as a first person story. Here we go again, trying the same thing as a third person limited POV.
There was a light shining in Peter's eyes. Something was holding them open, so he couldn't escape the light. He tried to speak, but no sound came out. In fact, there was no sound anywhere. When the light finally faded, he was alone again in silent darkness.

Actually, I think the third person makes it a stronger passage, even through the blur of a first draft. Revision comes later.

0 comments: